1 = Excellent 2 = Good 3 = Acceptable 4 = Marginal 5 = Poor NA = Not Applicable (not recommended)
|Gasket||Continuous Steam||Intermittent Steam||Pure Water Ambient||Pure Water Hot||Process Fluids Hot||Process Fluids Variable (<0°C - > 100°C)||Temp Range|
|Tuf-Flex®||1||1||1||1||1||1||-28°C to 148°C|
|Tuf-Steel®||1||1||1||1||1||1||-195°C to 288°C|
|PTFE||1||1||1||1||1||3||-73°C to 260°C|
|Platinum Silicone||2||2||2||2||2||1||-40°C to 232°C|
|FKM/Viton®||2||2||2||2||2||2||-34°C to 204°C|
|EPDM (Peroxide Cured)||3||3||3||3||3||3||-34°C to 148°C|
|Buna||NA||NA||5||5||5||5||-34°C to 93°C|
- Tuf-Flex® is the world’s first unitized gasket, setting new standards for purity, performance and flexibility. A Tuf-Flex® Gasket’s contact surface is PTFE unitized to an EPDM rubber inner core. This totally bonded construction provides a PTFE gasket with the mechanical characteristics, including memory, of an elastomer gasket. Designed to meet critical requirements in biopharmaceutical, ultra-pure water, WFI (water for injection) and difficult food and beverage processing.
- Tuf-Steel® is composed of a unique 50/50 blend of non-pigmented PTFE and 316L passivated and atomized stainless steel. Testing and seven years of documented application usage has demonstrated that Tuf-Steel® is the choice for perfect surface performance, outstanding durability and extended service life in both SIP (steam in place) and WFI (water for injection) applications. Tuf-Steel® is ideal for sanitary steam pipe connections in extreme temperatures ranging from -195°C to 288°C. The superior strength of Tuf-Steel® eliminates creep and cold flow providing a leak-free seal and preventing maintenance problems and system downtime.
- PTFE is the material of choice whenever low temperature flexibility or gasket memory is not required and can remain in service for longer periods of time in both water and steam applications. PTFE is not recommended with large temperature variations due to creep and cold flow. PTFE has minimal extractables, has a low absorption rate and excellent resistance to process fluids.
- Platinum Cured Silicone is the material of choice in sanitary water systems when PTFE is not feasible due to severely misaligned fittings, or if the cost of high pressure clamps does not outweigh the benefits of PTFE.
- FKM Fluoroelastomer and EPDM compounds are specified by many of our process equipment manufacturers. They are generally suitable for these applications, however, service life must be considered and a preventative maintenance program be implemented to mitigate degradation.
- Buna is the last choice in most pharmaceutical applications due to temperature limitations and does not pass U.S. Pharmacopeia Class VI Certification and Cytotoxicity.